Tuesday, September 25, 2007

It's About Time...

"It's about time. Why don't you go outside or something? Nerd." This is the quote that echoes from Herb's computer each time he logs out, and I feel somewhat akin to it these days. It's about time for a lot of things in my life. Things like going outside, cherishing each breath, reading a good book, cooking a new recipe, and blogging are amongst the many things that were put on the back burner in the last nine weeks. (Ah, how my life is counted by quarters!? I thought that was supposed to end after college!) Alas...it is time...

So what have I to offer you? Just like Aaron Mertz said on his latest blog, not much. But I will say that I am alive to tell the tale. This quarter wore on my heart, on my mind, on my time and on my relationships. It is amazing how important time is to nurturing everything. Time heals all wounds. I'm beginning to think that is less in reference to getting over a break up and more in reference to time invested in healing things broken from inattention.

So my plans for break are as follows: spend time with Herb. Not just time caught between essays graded or rooms cleaned, but genuine, actual face to face time. Two, spend time with Jesus. Nothing like some good praise music, the beach and good fellowship to remind me that the Lord reigns. Three, spend time for me. Do things I love to do and not just do them as an afterthought. This includes cooking a new recipe, watching some Diamondbacks baseball, talking on the phone with friends, sleeping and chilling in my PJs and reading absolute trash (not romance novels or anything amoral, but rather something that isn't considered a classic that I have to conjure interesting discussion questions for as I read.) This seems like very little, but I promise you I don't have enough time to accomplish all the things listed here. But I will aspire to them.

First step, heading to CA with my mom Thursday. Praise music required, beach time required (which is beauty, required), fellowship required. Melinda will join us on Friday which will add friend time and Disneyland time, all very necessary to rejuvinating my heart. Hopefully these steps will be the beginning of reminders as to why I do what I do. I need reminders as to who God has created me to be. I've been feeling awfully much like a machine who does things for people, and that, I know, is not my heart. So I'm looking for a chance to rediscover my heart.

So, I've found, it IS about time. It's about how I allot my time, how my time reflects my heart, and how time will heal. It's about time for me to let my time be unassigned with the only purpose being to allow God to fill my time with His purposes. So I'm sorry it's taken me a while to write, but it was definitely about time.

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Beautifully written my friend. I pray for sweet times that are on your list and for sweet times that aren't. Say hi to the beach for me. As ya'll are on the verge of the outside time of the year, we are on the verge of the indoors.

Aaron said...

I like Herb's computer's style. Hope the break was restful. Each night I watch the Diamondbacks, I think of you and Mr. Garcia...that and how I need to get a job with the team...