Monday, March 23, 2009

Independent?

So I'm posting, try not to die of shock! It won't be a long post because I have to get back to the school grind, but I thought I'd share this interesting revelation I've been mulling over for the last week and a half.

When Lori and I met a few weeks ago, we were talking about helplessness, and how it is a frowned upon attribute in our society, but a coveted attribute in our walk with God. It then hit me...

In our society, as we age and grow the goal is to become more independent. Parents try to train their kids so that they can eventually leave and survive on their own. But this is counter to what God asks of us. As we grow more in our relationship with God, our goal, or rather His goal for us, is to recognize our dependence on Him.

It is so hard for us to admit we are helpless, incapable, that we are in need of guidance, but that is the exact humility God is asking of us. So one of my new goals is to admit I need help. I want to become more dependent on the Maker, be more honest about my brokenness and short comings. Scary goal? Absolutely! Freeing decision? Absolutely!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can TOTALLY relate in a weird way. As I raise these children and constantly analyze every decision I make in teaching, disciplining, loving, and setting an example, independence has been quite an issue as it is for every toddler. Some want more than they can handle, some want less than they should be responsible for, and they all use it more and less to express emotion. After analyzing it to death, (and this is for Logan because he the one that's over-independent), I decided I wanted him to know his abilities, challenge himself to stretch them, and learn when he needs to ask for help. He naturally practiced the first two but if he failed, he got completely down on himself and the rest of the world and whined, "I can't do it!", and would cry or yell. I tell them both, "All you need to do is ask for help. Let me know when you're ready for me to help and I'll be there." Sometimes, knowing I'll be there when they need me encourages them to keep trying and sometimes they're so relieved and ask for help right then but I have to say it all the time because in their moment of frustration, they don't think of asking for help. And when I try to help before they're ready, they get REALLY mad. So, hopefully when they're blossomed and transfer their parent relationship from me to God, they'll be glad to be able to ask for help and they'll remember while they need it. I know I am exactly like them. I get mad, don't want to ask for help, make the situation worse, get more mad, get desperate, then ask, then take it back as soon as I've had a little relief. HOW DUMB!!! Hopefully I can prevent that from being passed on. -Mel