Sunday, July 18, 2010

It's not fair!

I've been pondering this blog topic for quite some time now, but haven't really felt that I was in the right place to write it. But I finally decided that I should try to write it despite where I am in life...that's what my blog is all about...honesty.

I've been plagued a lot recently with the "It's not fair"s. I am overwhelmed at times with how easy it is for others to conceive. I am in awe that some people can just decide to get pregnant and viola! they are. I often look at the lives of others and think, wow, their lives are going according to plan, no disasters, no broken hearts, just joy. How is this fair? The truth is that it is not.

Life can't be fair. If life were truly fair, if we were given what we think we deserve, then we would also be given what we truly deserve as sinners. We would be punished severely for our sins, we would be separated from our Father, we would be living in lives that were unredeemed. We aren't given what we deserve, good or bad, and thus life is not fair.

I really struggle with this because I am arrogant and I look around and think "But look at what they're doing with their lives and yet they have a child!" or "I did exactly what I was supposed to and I don't have one!" I have lived my entire life trying to do as I was supposed to so I could be equally rewarded. I've tried so hard to be the perfect child, to be the perfect Christ follower, in attempts to protect myself from evil and guarantee a life with minimal pain and suffering. To my surprise, that doesn't work.

No matter how perfect I try to be, I live in a fallen world. No matter how much I try to do exactly what I'm told, I am truly imperfect. When I really think about it, I'm thankful to not get what I deserve because it would be so much worse than what I'm living now. But how do we shake that mindset? How do we abandon the idea that we are living our lives for God's glory only and NOT for our own good benefit? How do we shake the illusion that we need a fair life? How do we recognize that God is telling our individual story and it has nothing to do with the story next to us?

This is where I get stuck. This is where I don't have an answer, where I can't complete my thought. Perhaps the answer is in knowing that each one of our stories will bring God an individual and unique glory. Perhaps the answer is in knowing that we are sinful and fallen and we aren't getting what we truly deserve. Perhaps the answer is to stop gazing at others and focus more on Jesus.

But how do we abandon the belief that our good deeds should equal earthly blessings? Perhaps the answer is this: "But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal; for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:20-21 Earthly blessings won't matter much when we reach eternity, so perhaps we need to fix our eyes on the heavenly.

I don't know the answer, I just know that the two year old is right, "It's not fair!" But thank goodness it isn't! Because life is not fair we are spared from the awful fate of our sin; because life is not fair we get a second chance; because life is not fair we are all redeemed.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

There was a point for me where somehow, even though the pain of what I didn't have was there, the thought of what I did have was stronger. I pray you have those moments.

cara said...

I think this often also Katie, at least in different areas of my life. For me, reminding myself that while other's seem to be getting what they want in life, underneath there is still probably just as much pain and heartache, It just all looks different. What's interesting is Glen touched on some of this in his sermon this morning. I completely agree, Praise God we do not get what really is fair. I'm sure it's beyond our imagination what we really deserve. May God show you clearly what He has in store for you and may it be richer than anything you can imagine.