Wednesday, June 29, 2016

"I'm ready to rock in the rocking chair"

Last night Josh woke with some sort of fear, maybe a nightmare, and as I walked into his room he said, "I'm ready to rock in the rocking chair." As I was rocking him, praying for him, comforting him, the verse I had been studying earlier that day came to mind. "Casting all your anxiety upon Him, for He cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7 And I started to cry. This calling out, "I'm ready to sit in the rocking chair" was Josh casting his anxiety upon me, so easily, so willingly. Not once did he hesitate and wonder if I would come, if I would care. His history with a loving mother drives him to trust that I will come to him, I will take his anxiety and worry, and I will be with him. This rocking in the chair, this patting and soothing and snuggling, this is because I care for him, so deeply, so intimately. This middle of the night rocking is 1 Peter 5:7 in motion, living and breathing. I'm so grateful for the parent/child relationship God gives us to better understand our own relationship with Him. What a gift to see His love for us tangibly lived out in smaller ways in our own hearts! What a joy to rock away Josh's anxiety and lay him peacefully back down in his crib because I care for him. What a motivation to cast my anxiety upon the One who cares for me. History has shown, He will come 💜

No comments: