Thursday, June 12, 2008

2 AM Wake Up Call

As some of you know, I've been fighting something all week long.  Sore throat, snot, stomach ache, overall ache.  In general I don't do the laying low well, but I have attempted to the last two days.  I tried to nap, read a good book (nothing good at all was on TV), I didn't even work out or clean my house (huge moral victory!)  But that didn't stop my body from attacking me!

2 AM I am wide awake.  Apparently I had draped my arm across my neck and my glands were so swollen that it hurt to touch.  So I got up and attempted to rid myself of snot and climbed back in bed.  No good.  My throat was throbbing and the pain kept my eyes wide open. I got up a few more times, used a flashlight to check my throat--looked white a spotty to me. Arg...I laid there trying to surrender my aching body to the Lord, trying to trust Him.  But these thoughts kept flowing through my head:

Why can't we call the doctor in the  middle of the night? 8 AM feels so far away!

Why isn't there a take home strep test that I can just pick up at Walgreens?

Why did I throw away all of the expired drugs in the de-cluttering process?

I remember all the times the doctor asked me if my sore throat was keeping me up.  I responded of course not, and he reassured me that he would prescribe me some pain meds if it became a problem.  I'd take those now!

But come 2:45 when I just couldn't take it any more, I fell on Mom's home remedy.  I gargled with warm salt water for so long a DUI officer might have mistaken me for being drunk on the ocean.  Although it's not fun choking on saline, it was enough to ease my aching throat and allow me to find sleep again.  Praise God!

In the throes of last night, I set the alarm for 8 AM so I could call the doctor.  When I heard that precious beeping this morning I awoke to an almost, key word almost, painless throat. Yay, I think.  Why is it that when you've finally set your mind on going to the doctor, your symptoms seems to subside?  So I'm waiting it out.  I gargled again, been drinking hot liquids and I definitely haven't returned to the 2 AM level of pain.  Hopefully this doesn't kick me in the butt.  Hopefully come tomorrow I will have no pain or snot, and I'll be able to enjoy my birthday festivities in peace.  And hopefully 2 AM won't be a time of the night I see for a while. We all know I don't do well without my beauty sleep. 

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

Sorry you're sick!! Sending prayers for quick healing!

Lauryn said...

I hope you're feeling better Katie! I wanted to let you know that I "tagged" you on my blog!

http://laurynvanrooy.blogspot.com/2008/06/cute-questionnaire.html