Monday, August 11, 2008

Bush Bashing

Yes, I'm about to go political on you for a moment. If you are opposed, feel free to ignore the post altogether. But I can't help posting about this topic. I reached a point of frustration and then found a moment of enlightenment, which I'd like to share with you if you are interested.

I try diligently to ignore the media in regards to politics in general, but specifically in regards to President Bush. I have been a Bush fan for a long time, which many of you know about me. The biggest point in his favor in my book is that he is a believer and is not afraid to admit it. He asks for prayer and prays himself. He is humble in recognizing that he can't tackle the job he has without the help of a greater power. I appreciate all of these things about him especially because he does these things while being strongly hated by a majority of the nation.

The nation makes no apologies for their hatred of Bush. They slam him in all directions, and even when it is not his fault. This week I saw an article about the Chinese government chastising Bush for speaking up about their questionable human rights policies. Next to the article was a picture of President Bush! I couldn't believe the blatant stab at President Bush for something he didn't do. Shouldn't there be a picture of the Chinese President? The man who made the heretical comments towards America? But no, they post a picture of our President in hopes that readers will see the picture, assume Bush bashing, and read with a hopeful eye for more criticism fodder. Needless to say this put me on guard.

I was talking this over with my friend Shiloh last night, and I came upon a fascinating idea. While I was in my fits of rage about this topic, I said that it frustrated me that we live in a nation so willing to openly hate its leader. And then, Aha! Luke 21:17 "You will be hated by all on account of my name." If President Bush is so hated by the people of this world, he must be pursuing God in a powerful way. I am by no means saying the he is perfect, that he does no wrong, but I do think that perhaps he is doing what God has called him to. If that's the case, no wonder the world hates him. The world hates what it does not understand. Although this doesn't completely pacify me about the Bush bashing, it does reassure me that the Lord is in control. He is bigger than the powers that be and bigger than the naysayers of the world. He is capable of doing far beyond all we can ask or think, politically and in all realms of life.

So next time you hear someone bashing Bush, and if you believe that he is walking with the Lord, take a deep breath and realize they aren't hating the man but the Christ within him. It reassures me a bit, hopefully it will to you as well.

1 comment:

Leatrice said...

Right on! I completely agree! Also the thing about people blaming him for stuff that's not even his fault is so true, like after Katrina when people said that the hurricane was Bush's fault...ummm what?! Argh, don't even know how to respond to something like that. I don't know if you heard what Glenn said a couple of weeks back about God being in control no matter who wins an election, but it was an interesting point. He was saying it more to prove that it doesn't matter who wins because in the end it's God who's in the driver's seat, but I think it's more of God is in control, so the right person will end up leading our country. Perfect example: G.W. winning two terms. :)