Friday, January 3, 2014

The REAL Advent and the New Year

Since I no longer have time to write full fledged blog posts, I am thinking I'll start posting my more thought out Facebook posts on here so that I can keep them for perusing at a later time.  Here are a few from my last week:

  • My word for 2013 was contentment. God took me on an amazing journey this year as He taught my heart to be more and more content. I am amazed as He transformed my initial goal with this word, financial contentment, and brought me to a new place of contentment with all of my difficult circumstances. I am far from perfect in this area but I have watched The Lord change me so dramatically that I am certain this year stands as a testimony to God's grace in my life. I am thankful for a living and active God who works intimately in our hearts. Excited for my word for 2014; stay tuned for its unveiling tomorrow

  • I know you are waiting with bated breath for this announcement My word for 2014 is ABIDE. This year I want to learn how to truly abide with Jesus, to be present with Him, to choose time with Him over any other seemingly pressing priority. I am looking forward to God showing me what else this word means for my heart as the word always takes on so much more meaning as the year progresses. My word for this year comes with these verses to meditate on: Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me. I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing. (John 15:4, 5 NASB)

  • At 9 months today my sweet smiley boy waves and says "hi", claps and makes an adorable fishy face! Meanwhile his sister loves building Legos with daddy, has suddenly become keenly aware of the feelings of others, and is currently sitting in her room cracking up at a joke in her Fancy Nancy book! (Next time you see her ask her what color a burp is...) Herb and I won the kid lottery

  • I've been thinking about the anticipation of Christmas.  Christmas is a great tease of what Hope is about--the anticipation of something wonderful to come. The joy, the peace, the overall longing for this one event.  But the thing about Christmas is that it always disappoints.  There's always a let down, whether it be not getting a gift we were longing for, unkind words exchanged, meltdowns on Christmas due to over stimulation.  Or even a perfect Christmas day, which is followed by the sadness of taking everything down and hiding it away until next year.  But as I said, Christmas is a TASTE of what Hope is about.  Because the real Hope that comes from Jesus does not disappoint (Romans 5:5).  There will be no let down, no next time, no unfulfilled gifts, no postponing of joy and peace until another day.  The Hope of Jesus will fulfill, always.  He will remain with us, always.  That is the advent we can hold on to all year long!

No comments: