Thursday, October 29, 2015

Resting in His Provision

I wrote this on the Fall Student Ministry Retreat as I sat by a brook in the middle of the forest.  Reading it over and over again takes me back to the overwhelming peace I experienced that morning. Hear the meditations of my heart that I might go back to that rest time and again:

God I am overwhelmed by how vast You are. You placed each star in the Heavens and You know them by  name. You placed each rock in this creek and poured the water out to flow down so very long ago, and yet as You laid each rock and positioned each star You knew that at this moment, in this weekend, I would sit here and gaze at them and stand in awe of You.  My mind can't comprehend how awesomely, all-powerful You are, and how intimately You know me, love me and speak to me. I'm such a tiny part of a much greater story and yet You care about my minuscule plot line.  You have crafted this world, these people, my experiences to reverberate Your story in my heart! I love Your ways O Lord! My heart cannot contain the joy that flows from Your love for me!

I just cannot get over the birds that are flying about and landing on the trees before me. All I keep thinking on is Matthew 6:26 "Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns, and yet Your Heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they?" Jesus, the number of birds that fly through the air and alight on branches around me are many and I am seeing such a small portion of this Earth. Multiply that over and over and over again for the uncountable birds on this Earth. You provide for every single one, and Your word says I am worth much more than these. 

Why do I ever doubt Your provision? Lord I pray that when I worry or fear, You would bring me a bird and remind me of this moment. Let me be grounded in this truth of Your word. You, O Lord, are my Provider. At no point are You worried or concerned about how You will provide for me. Your resources are limitless! You could conjure money out of thin air. You could spring up a garden of delicious fruit in my back yard. You could place a glass of healing elixir on my nightstand or lay Your hand on my body and remove all illness. You are never at a loss for how to provide for me! Please Jesus, let me rest in this truth! Help me to cease striving and be at rest in You.

Amen

No comments: