Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Oh I Love a Rainy Night

If any of you have been paying attention to Tucson weather, you know we've had thunderstorms and rain almost every day this week. While others are frustrated and stuck in their cars in a wash somewhere, I fling open the blinds, grab a good book and listen and watch the rain. Every since I was a kid I have loved the rain. My Memere still talks about when I used to visit her house in Illinois and sit outside on the front porch swing to watch the rain. Something about my nature is drawn to this amazing aspect of nature!

Because of this I can't fully blame my students for asking me to go play in the rain on the second day of school! It began to pour and they begged to trounce outside and get all wet and muddy. While I gave them a dirty look and disdained the thought of letting my students run amok, I did understand the intense desire to immerse themselves in the beauty and the glorious smell because I had that desire as well.

The smell of rain is intoxicating to me! If I walk outside and it smells like "dirt" (or creosote for those smarty pants who actually know where the smell originates) I get giddy, like a student on the last day of school! I can't wait to stand outside with my mouth open wide, and I couldn't care if the sun would never shine. This blessed smell and the presence of rain this week has been an awesome reminder of God's blessing.

Many songs and thereby verses in the Bible refer to God's love raining down on us, and to me that is a powerful image. As rain pours from the sky and drenches my skin, so can the Lord's blessings drench my soul if I allow. I'm want to allow Him to cover me, to rain down His love. His physical reminder of this important metaphor has prompted me to remember His covering this week, despite circumstances.

So despite the hole in our roof that caused a leaky ceiling these past days, I hope for more rain! I can't get enough of the amazing beauty of water pouring from the sky and lightening flashing before my eyes. What grace! What splendor! Thus I will continue to fling open my blinds, curl up with a good book and enjoy the rain.

2 comments:

mama Ker said...

"Soon it's gonna rain, I can feel it. Soon it's gonna rain, I can tell. And we'll not complain if it never stops at all..." from the Fantastiks
Well, I guess I would care because I love my sunshine, but like you, I love a good rain storm!
One of my favorite memories is of you in our Las Vegas apartment...it started to rain and we just sat and watched for what seemed hours. Later we found out that the city had pretty much flooded, but you and I were safe and sound-just enjoying the bliss of a summer rain.

Aaron said...

oh, how i miss arizona thunderstorms. or georgia thunderstorms. or thunderstorms in general. portland, for all its rainfall, never gets a real storm.

also, what an amazing story about your ex-student, "brad". there are so many more of those stories out there, katie -- and whether the students come back to tell you so or, know that your care and concern continues to evidence itself to many of them.

more importantly, how's Saturday the 11th or Sunday the 12th (afternoon game) looking for the dbacks, you, Herbert, and I?