Monday, July 2, 2007

See the Beauty

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." I agree completely with the idea that we can see the beauty in anything we so desire. This year some of my students asked me to sit in on a panel in their art class to discuss ideas about what art is and what is beautiful. As usual my students impressed me with their understanding and interpretation of life around them, and they really truly believe that beauty can be found in anyone or anything. Sometimes I wish they could find beauty in what I'm having them read, but that's a different story.

As I sat in church with Herb and his dad and stepmom yesterday (we had a wonderful visit with them) I was struck by something poignant that Glenn said in his sermon. He was touching on the fact that each pastor on staff reaches a different audience with their manner of teaching and their perspective on life and scripture. Glenn's emphasis was that Jesus is going to use different people's giftings to touch different lives. The lives I might touch might not be the same lives Melinda, or Brandy or Krista might touch in the classroom. We each have unique giftings to reach diverse individuals. This isn't necessarily new information, but it hit me in a new way yesterday, in a humbling way.

If Jesus has designed us uniquely to reach others, then why on earth do we judge or compare ourselves to others? Why don't we appreciate the different giftings around us instead of trying to make others like ourselves? Why don't we value what people bring to the table instead of criticizing the manner in which they offer their skills? Basically, I was humbled and convicted. It is so easy to believe that my perspective or opinion or way of doing things is the best because heck, it's worked for me for quite some time now. I spend a great deal of time trying to figure out why people don't do it my way or trying to figure out why my way isn't appreciated by everyone. (Wow that last sentence truly reveals my sinful nature...if you didn't know it, now you do, I'm a sinner.) I waste my time selfishly desiring people to be like me when what I really need to do is see the beauty in what God has created!

God in His infinite wisdom and love for beauty has created unique creatures, each designed for a specific purpose. He has gifted me to touch the lives of some in my circle of influence, but He's created others to do the same. How beautiful each and every one of us are for vastly different reasons! How precious are we each created to serve unique purposes in this world! I want to focus on the beauty in others, instead of judge their shortcomings because God has a purpose for their beauty despite their flaws. And the same goes for me; God has a plan for me in spite of my inadequacies.

Beauty is often found in brokenness. When we see a Phoenix rise from the ashes, or a tear stained toddler's face smile as he tries to walk again, there is beauty amidst the pain. I believe there is beauty all around us, in each person we encounter, in each image our eye takes in. But I believe God's crowning glory, the height of His beauty is in the heart of man, and man is broken. We are God's masterpiece, and even the dark lines that brush their way through our stories provide more definition and depth to the painting. "In brokenness comes beauty, divine fragility, reminding me of nail scarred hands reaching out to me." Again, the darker parts of our lives, whether they be sin or struggle, yield beautiful depth to God's creation.

In humility I admit that I haven't been seeking out beauty in each person, instead I've focused too much on the brokenness or the differences between their painting and mine. But I want to have eyes to see their glory. It is my desire to see the masterpiece, to understand the intricate lines, be them bright or dark, and to recognize the extreme value of who is in front of me. I leave you with these words from a Jars of Clay song that has been running through my head as I write this. It's from a different perspective, but I think the ideas are the same.

"See the Art in Me"
Broken stained-glass windows, the fragments ramble on
Tales of broken souls, an eternity's been won
As critics scorn the thoughts and works of mortal man
My eyes are drawn to you in awe once again

In your picture book I'm trying hard to see
Turning endless pages of this tragedy
Sculpting every move you compose a symphony
You plead to everyone, "see the art in me"

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Amen!!! Reminds me of Mark Schultz's song Broken and Beautiful. You are a beauty.