Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Remembering Aunt Kelly


Today is Aunt Kelly's birthday. The day before we celebrate our country's freedom, we celebrate her. She loved celebrating our country, she loved anything patriotic. My mom received this email yesterday and I want to quote it here because I feel that it is so well spoken.

"It's her day... the first of many firsts when she is missing, missed. As Edna Millay said, 'The presence of her absence is everywhere.' So even though you are doing your best to pass through this day, distracting yourself with necessary tasks and businesslike conversations, know that I am remembering you...and Kelly. Just think...what a party she must be having today! And somehow, I rather think that she will be thinking of you, aware of your grief, hoping you will find a "Disneyland" moment to lift your heart and focus on a happier time. It is, after all, her day. And she is certainly worth celebrating.

Lord, please pass on our birthday song!"

There are certainly plenty of things to keep me busy today, but there are also plenty of things to remind me of Aunt Kelly. Let me share with you some of the things I've pondered doing or am doing today in her honor.

1) Jumping in the car right after Herb gets off work and driving to Disneyland. It's last minute and it's fun, just like Aunt Kelly!
2) Watching, singing and dancing with Goofy Movie. Some of my favorite memories are driving in her car singing "If we listen to each other's hearts we'll find we're never too far apart..."
3) Wearing an American flag t-shirt. I couldn't help but scan the patriotic garb at church Sunday and think of all the red, white and blue Aunt Kelly so proudly displayed.
4) Watch an episode of Gilmore Girls. She shared that love with Megan, and with many other girls in our family.
5) Eat some good food but avoid cream cheese! You know you are a Myers girl when you plan your day around good food!
6) To follow that up (in case I did have some cream cheese), fart without shame! Herb would argue I do that anyway, but Aunt Kelly had an art for the fart that I hope to rival. :-)
7) Watch some baseball. Aunt Kelly, like Colin, was a Dodgers fan through and through. I guess I could root for the blue just for today, but tomorrow I go back to bleeding purple.
8) Call my sister. Aunt Kelly cared so much about family, especially her sisters, and was willing to give the world for them!
9) Love a child. I've already explained her deep love for kids; I know she'd want me to love on them today and always!
10) Leave laundry piled high. Cleaning house was never a priority to Aunt Kelly, she'd rather be spending time with people. So today, I leave the house work behind.

I can't help but smile and cry as I compile this list, and I think that's how it will always be. I will remember her with great joy and laughter because that's what she brought to my life, but I will also cry because I miss her presence. But I can remember her and honor her in my actions. And my mom's friend Lauren was right, Aunt Kelly would want me to find a Disneyland moment in my day and hold on to it.

So here's to you Aunt Kelly, it isn't the first day I've missed you and it certainly won't be the last. But I celebrate who you are today, just as I would if you were still with me. I celebrate the beauty of you and your life. You are missed and you are remembered in thought and in action, today and always.

1 comment:

mama Ker said...

What a wonderful post! I cried (no surprise!) bittersweet tears and smiled. Well done my good and faithful daughter (and niece)....