Monday, February 4, 2008

The Underdog

I am torn about writing this blog right now because I'm at an intriguing part in the book I'm reading, and I only have a few minutes for one or the other. I guess I'll choose my writing vice for the time being. :-)

Last night's Super bowl was SO enjoyable to watch! Not only was it a great game full of all of the interesting plays one hopes for in a big game, but the Giants won! Herb is kind of annoyed that I am a semi-Giants fan because they are the football counterpart of the Yankees. But I argue that rooting for them is in no way like rooting for the Yankees; they only have three titles as compared to the gazillions of titles held by the wretched boys in blue. Anyway, I don't like the Giants because they're the Giants, I like them because I like Eli Manning. He's a genuinely nice guy whose suffered a bad rap for quite some time. He's an underdog and there's nothing I love more than rooting for the underdog.

The underdog is usually where I will place my favor if I don't have an allegiance one way or the other. I like rooting for the guy no one believes can finish the race. Whenever favorites are picked, I usually go the opposite way. Maybe it comes from being a fan of Arizona sports teams for so long; we're not usually the favorite but I cheer us on all the same. Or maybe it's because I've been an underdog many times in my life. But either way I'm about cheering for the guy few put faith in. And why not? He needs someone in his corner!

This was echoed a second way this weekend. I took some of our students to the Academic Decathlon competition in Marana. Not a person believed we were going to achieve much, including me. That didn't stop me from hoping. I coached them and encouraged them, I pushed them and prodded them. And in the end, we left with three trophies! One for the most improved team, and two individual trophies! How cool is that?!

As I was just typing that last paragraph, it came to me, why I root for the underdog. The answer is hope. I love to have hope, and rooting for the team less touted, rooting for the guy less equipped, rooting for the weaker vessel affords the opportunity for hope. This must be how Jesus feels about us; constantly cheering on the underdog. As we know from scripture, he doesn't choose the smartest, most powerful men to lead his people. He chooses the underdog. So maybe that's it too. Maybe my cheers for the underdog echo Christ in me. How cool!

Suffice it to say, I'm very excited for the Giants and for Eli Manning. May we all try to go out there and do what others believe we can't! How much greater a triumph it will be when we overcome all odds and nay sayers!

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Sometimes nice guys do finish first. Go Eli! I also loved watching Peyton cheer on his little brother. Just another beautiful picture of what love looks like.

Oh and tell Herb - rooting for the Giants is no way, shape or form like rooting for the Yankees. The Giants are admittedly a bunch of misfits. They do not go out and buy a "championship team" like the Yankees. Nope, no comparison.

Leatrice said...

Huckabee = Underdog

That's all I have to say!