Saturday, May 10, 2008

Pray Your Tears

The past two weeks I have been "weepy," to say the least.  Everything has triggered tears, and I have attributed it to being weary and unable to cope.  That might be part of it.  There have been tough things to swallow.  I've been grieving my Aunt Kelly lots lately.  We're coming up on the one year anniversary of her loss, and it almost seems overwhelming.  I miss her much in this hour of rejoicing for Herb because this is the sort of thing she thrived at.  She did such an amazing job of celebrating others, and I know celebrating Herb this year would be no exception.  I'm missing her so much it hurts, and I'm crying many tears.  

Sometimes tears make me feel weak.  Sometimes tears make me feel like a failure.  Sometimes I remember that they are there for a reason.  Sometimes I remember that vulnerability is an aspect of the beauty of Christ.  But this sermon changed my perspective on tears.  It calls upon the Psalms of David to remind us or to reinforce the purpose of tears.  If you have thirty minutes, or even maybe as a quiet time, listen.  I think it will transform you as it did me. Hopefully I will find a way to pray my tears more often.  (Click on the title of the blog to be redirected to the link). 

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

Of the many things that this sermon stirred in me, one has been that praying my tears takes me to a very different place with God. I often let my prayers flow from my head or my intellect or what I understand of a situation. I pray what I am thinking about. And while I am a fairly "feeling" person by nature and I know that even my thinking is fueled by what I feel, when I pray, I don't know that I often let my heart do so in its rawest expression. To pray my tears is to allow my heart to pray uncensored. My tears are an intimate part of me, so to pray my tears is to let the facades fall away and the walls crumble as I allow the core of myself to be that which articulates, with words or without, my cry to God.