Friday, June 19, 2009

Not enough

The book Captivating by Stasi Eldredge talks about how women struggle with two major lies about their identity: women feel like they are too much and not enough. While I can definitely point to moments in my life where each of those lies felt true, currently I am viewing life through the not enough lens...

I just read this article on anxiety and it suggests that one of the best ways to overcome anxiety is have self-determination and define things positively. The article suggests that when one is feeling anxious she should define herself as a problem solver and remember specific times of success in solving problems. The problem is: I'm having a hard time remembering any...

This is ridiculous, really, you should ridicule me, because my job is problem solving. I spend each and every class day solving problems, finding solutions, creating new routes around a problem, and yet...I can't see myself as that.

I don't feel like I have enough to fight the anxiety, I don't feel like I can do enough to fix my situation. Part of my anxiety is that I can't do enough to fight germs, or I can't do enough to make my classroom safe, or I can't do enough to protect myself from bad happening. And the truth is...I don't have enough.

I am not enough, but God is. Yet it seems to me that I'm also having a hard time believing God is enough. I know He's enough, but I'm not believing He's enough. In other words, I am feeling like I don't have enough faith. More of the not enoughs...

So tonight my prayer is: "Lord, I believe. Help me in my unbelief. Help me to know that all of You is more than enough for all of me, for every thirst and every need, You satisfy me with Your love, and all I have of You is more than enough..."

No comments: