Thursday, October 28, 2010

Remembering

I can't explain how thankful I am when others remember Hope. I know it is easy to forget her, after all very few people even met her, but I am so grateful when people remember my precious girl without my prompting.

A most beautiful example of this beauty came from my friend Janell last weekend. We were on our way home from a baby shower, and Janell said she wanted to ask me something. She asked if I wanted Hope honored in some way at my baby shower for this newest little girl. Janell said that she didn't want to forget Hope and her significance, and so her thought had been to make shirts in honor of Hope for my shower. Of course I started to cry and was so overwhelmed with the gentle sweetness of this gesture--so simple yet so profound to my mother's heart. What a perfect representation of God's love for me and for Hope reflected in the heart of my dear friend Janell!

Then just last night my thoughtful sister asked what we were doing to celebrate Hope's birthday. She asked if I wanted to celebrate alone or if I wanted company. Kevyn sweetly remembered that this day is quickly approaching and wanted to make sure that we honored my precious daughter! I love that I didn't even have to ask--Kevyn just made it a point to remember and offer her comfort and her company. What a gift my sister is and how thankful I am for her remembering!

Not everyone will remember and not everyone has to, but I am so grateful for those who do. It is in that remembering that I feel like Hope is valued, like she is a part of my family, that she will never be forgotten. These are things that I very much feel everyday, but I am overwhelmed when others share those feelings with me. What a gift my friends and family are and what a present their remembering is to me! Thank you for those who help me in my remembering, who share in the remembering with me. You lessen my load and lighten my heart.

No comments: