Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Love Actually

As I perused channels yesterday I happened upon one of my favorite movies of all time, Love Actually. (Yes I own it, and no I don't understand the excitement and logic of finding one of your favorite movies on TV and watching it with commercials in spite of your commercial free DVD sitting on the shelf. But the thrill is there nonetheless.) So three hours of my day yesterday were dedicated to Love Actually, and I don't feel it a waste at all.

This movie is beautiful because it reflects the many different forms of love in this world. From the opening monologue about calls of love on 9-11 as the camera scans a crowd of people hugging in the airport to the closing scene that now pans the faces of love stories we know, it is clear that love exists in this world. You all may be thinking I'm stating the obvious here, but I think we often forget the way that love encompasses and sustains us. I would not be who I am today without many different forms of love.

So I thought I would give you a glimpse into moments of love actually in my recent daily life. These are moments that if I were to not pay close attention I would miss completely. A reminder for me to constantly be looking for reflections of love in my life.

Last night as we were falling asleep Herb and I were holding hands. When he was ready to turn over, instead of saying anything, he just turned over and kissed my hand. A tender moment of love actually.

As I talked to my mom these last few weeks as she sat beside an ailing Aunt Kelly, she and her sisters would run to my aunt's side every time she threw up. Running toward sickness and pain to just be there is love actually.

In the same vein, my Uncle Dave sat at a table at the memorial service trying to cope with his loss. He admitted to my cousins and me that usually at this time he'd go find Kelly and talk to her. He missed her in the little things and that is love actually.

And finally I end with an airport scene just like in the movie. As my sister stood in the airport hugging our cousins goodbye, she stood laughing with Colin, prompting him to smile amidst his loss. My sister knows him well enough to make him laugh, and knows him well enough to know he needs to laugh. This hug is love actually.

This post is more of a prompting and reminder for me to be ever vigilant in watching for love. One moment can sustain a whole day, and it is a collection of these moments that sustain a lifetime. Our purpose on this earth is love actually, and I don't want to miss the opportunity to give or receive love.

If you'd like to share your moments of love actually, leave a comment on this blog. I'd consider it a privelege to see your glimpses of love in your own day to day.

2 comments:

Dawn said...

What a beautiful picture and reminder that love actually IS all around us. I LOVE that movie for so many reasons. Love you too Katie Sue.

ElleG said...

Love actually:

I was having a massive panic attack. One of the worst I have ever had. And as I began to twitch and become what I would describe as a monster, Tyler held my hands and recounted his entire day to me as he struggled to keep me still and never skipped a beat. He just stayed and did not care. That is love actually.