Monday, May 28, 2007

My Logic

So I have decided to try my hand at blogging. What is my logic in choosing this pass time? Well it's two fold.

One, as a teacher of English I try to impress on my students the importance of writing in authentic settings. I think it is invaluable for me to model that process in whatever ways I can. I need to be writing to set an example, and without some sort of prompting to write I may never hone my skills. When I was in high school I used to list writing as a hobby, a true investment of my time in poetry, journaling and letter writing. It is time to resurrect that time honored tradition.

Two, as an English teacher I find that I don't have time to write emails as often as I used to. I find that at the end of the day I'm just out of words to communicate with anyone else. That being said, I have left many friends wondering where I am, what fills my days and what the state of my heart is. So, this is my chance to use some words to reach many.

I'll be honest. I may not be extremely faithful in this endeavor. Although it may seem like I am loyal to it at the beginning (this is the beginning of summer), when new faces rush into my classroom next July my blogs may be fewer and further between.

I often wonder if this is a flaw on my part, becoming too absorbed in the lives of my students and in the world of my classroom. Some people go to work, leave at 5 and are done thinking about their place of employment. But for me, I go to work early, spend all day going none stop, conference with students after school and then come home to make dinner and grade their papers. Is this a flaw? Have I become a workaholic? Although I vascillate on the final answer to this question, the conclusion I come to most often is, no I'm not a workaholic. And after attending my Aunt Kelly's memorial service this weekend I am more affirmed in this fact than I've ever been. Reason being...

My Aunt Kelly spent her life dedicated to kids, all kids. There were more teenagers at her service than there were adults. She took the time to talk to each one of her own kids' friends. She took the time to drive them places, attend their events, walk along side them in tough times and offer them her couch and a warm meal. There were hundreds of children in that memorial service weeping the loss of their second mom. The power of touching the life of a child is priceless. Jesus says in Matthew 18:5 "And whoever receives one such child in My name receives Me." Jesus loves children and what a reflection of him if I spend my life loving children as well. I can tell you that my Aunt Kelly was a reflection of Jesus to hundreds of children, and I consider it an honor to walk in her footsteps.

So is it time consuming to be a high school teacher? Yes. Do I feel worked to the bone and often unappreciated? Yes. Do I often wonder if I make a difference in my day to day? Yes. But do I believe I am living out God's will? Yes. Do I believe that I have a great power and influence over the lives in my classroom? Yes. And is it worth the sacrifice? Absolutely.

So if you wonder where I am daily, why I'm often not as responsive as I should be, why I'm exhausted and asleep by 8 o'clock, the answer is I'm loving kids. I'm finding their quirks and adoring them as they are. And I am proud to live in the footsteps of Jesus and in the example of my Aunt Kelly. I hope that one day children will know Jesus by His love that they experienced through me.

Now that I have rambled, I hope you know a bit more of my logic, a bit more about how I spend my time, and even more about my heart. Here's to a new foray into authentic writing. May you truly experience the real Katie Sue. :-)

5 comments:

mama Ker said...

I am honored to be the mom of the rambling English Teacher! Blog on baby, blog on!

Aunt Kevyn said...

...and I am thrilled to be one of the Aunts of the rambling, blogging English Teacher. Katie Sue, you are an inspiration to my child...and to me!

Janet said...

Katie,
Thank you so much for sharing your heart! As I sit here with tears in my eyes, I realize just how special to me the Failoni ladies truly are! Your family has been through so much; I hope you know you are in our prayers each and every day.
Keep writing! :)
Love ya -
Janet Fredrick

Jackie said...

Katie,

Although I don't know you well and have only met you a few times. I can truly say that you are 'living in your Aunt Kelly's footsteps'. I'm sure she's smiling, dancing and singing!!

Reading your 'ramblings' has been an inspiration to me this evening.

Love is having the opportunity to read something as wonderful as you have written.

Ellie said...

It's funny to me that I'm reading this almost 3 years after you first wrote it, and this is SO your life. This is exactly how you have loved me and always made me feel and helped me to be more connected with God through all of life's paths. See, you are a prophet!

Ellie