Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Spirit of Fear

Recently I have been plagued by an intense spirit of fear. Things that would normally not even phase me have popped up on my radar and consumed my thoughts, energy and time. It is horrible; plague is the right word for it. This fear has left me feeling drained and broken. The thing is: I know it is not from me, it is from Satan. I've been meditating on this verse:

2 Timothy 1:7: "For God has not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."

Notice it is a spirit of fear, and it is not from God. And I've decided that I'm not going to let it in any more. This spirit is preying on my thoughts, waiting for the right moment to place an untruth in my mind and then repeat it so that I may dwell. The incessant dwelling helps me to then believe the lie and thus fear develops.

Fear is not how I want to spend my time and energy. Fear is not how I want to live my life. Fear WILL stop me from doing things that God wants me to do.

I always feel like Satan attacks when he begins to fear my effectiveness or God's work through me most. So it is time for Satan to be afraid. I will not be paralyzed by fear. I will move forward. Fear will no longer be my prison! I'm asking you to help me pray 2 Tim. 1:7 and the following Jill Phillips song. I can't do this by myself, but I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. So I will FEAR NOT, for God is with me!


Steel Bars by Jill Phillips
So this is how it feels at the rock bottom of despair
When the house I built comes crashing down
And this is how it feels when I know the man that I say I am
Is not the man that I am when no one's around
This is how it feels to come alive again
And start fighting back to gain control
And this is how it feels to let freedom in
And break these chains that enslave my soul

CHORUS:
I refuse to be locked up in here like a prison cell
Where all I ever get is a meal and four walls
I used to be just fine in here but not anymore
Gonna break through these steel bars

So tell me how it feels when the tables start to turn
And you find yourself at the losing end
Tell me how it feels, you're not welcome here
'Cause I'm tired of pain and I'm tired of sin

I won't let you win
I have no doubt
I don't want you in
So get out, get out

I refuse to be locked up in here like a prison cell
Where all I ever get is a meal and four walls
I used to be just fine in here but not anymore
Gonna break through these steel bars

2 comments:

Kirsten said...

Loved reading your blog Katie! Thanks for sharing that verse in Timothy, it was very encouraging. Hope to see you and Herb sometime soon!

Sarah said...

Yay for multiple posts from Katie!