Friday, July 17, 2009

Is one of us supposed to be a dog in this situation?

Those of you who have spent any time with Herb and me know how excessively we quote movies. We can have whole conversations consisting of words that are not our own. I love this about us, but I know it is an us quirk that not everyone understands. I am just lucky that I met a man who enjoys quoting in this way because I often think in quotes. Words and phrases stick with me and constantly float through my mind, which is why I'm not surprised that my current anxiety lesson comes to me from When Harry Met Sally. This is one of my favorite movies of all time, and the quotes from this movie are endlessly applicable to numerous situations. But the quote that's been sticking with me this week is from Jess and Marie's wedding when Harry and Sally are arguing about the night they slept together. Sally is holding on to what happened and Harry is trying to convince her (albeit not well--he calls her a dog!) to let it go. Here's how the conversation plays out:

Sally: I don't see that Harry. If anyone's a dog, you are the dog. To you this is something that just happened and you think you can say great, it happened, now let's get on with it, we'll go back to the way it was like what happened didn't mean anything--

Harry: I'm not saying it didn't mean anything, I'm just saying why does it have to mean everything?

I keep replaying Harry's line over and over in my mind. The thing is, I feel like Sally, except exaggerated. I feel like each thing that happens, each thing I do, is of huge importance with the possibility for astronomical consequences. But why does each action have to mean everything? I'm bound to be anxious when I feel as though each decision or mistake has such gravity. I'm lacking perspective on the meaning of my actions. I'm not sure how to change that.

But I do know that I will continue to replay Harry's line in my mind, and hopefully it'll sink in. Hopefully I can ask myself with each passing anxiety, why does it have to mean everything? And then maybe I won't be a dog in this situation. ;-)

No comments: