Saturday, June 9, 2007

Baseball


I love baseball! I had the privilege to go to a game with my parents on Thursday evening, and I will go again tonight with Herb to see the Dbacks take on the Boston Red Sox! What a thriller! My mom says that I've had this love since I sat on her lap at the age of one watching the Dodgers games on public access television. But again, this is a family tradition I've inherited!

My Memere (grandma) watches every St. Louis Cardinals game she can. She can tell you about each of the players on her team and how they fare against opposing teams. Also, she collects Cardinals to place around her house so she can be surrounded by her team's mascot. Likewise, my dad loves all sports, but baseball particularly. One of my favorite pictures of me, my dad and my mom at a Dodgers game when I'm one year old. They have always shown me a love of baseball; from my mom who listened to Dodgers' games on the radio with her parents to my dad who watched Cardinals games in the living room with his parents, this is a family tradition, almost.

My sister Kevyn loves most sports and almost all games. Competitive through and through, Kevyn used to kick my butt in games like Wahoo, Skipbo and Farkle, but it took her a long time before she came around to sports. She finally has found a love for basketball (college and NBA), college football and NFL, and a general interest in sports. All but baseball! For my fast paced, energetic sister, baseball moves a tad too slow. Plus, she hates hot dogs, so there's no food appeal for the games there. But hopefully one day we will drag her back in to our family passion!

But I digress, I wanted to paint a picture of why I love baseball! It starts with loyalty; I love pulling on my Diamondbacks shirt, knowing that they can't win one without me. I love knowing each player by name to the point that when I'm cheering them on I call them by their first names, Chad, Brandon, Mark. They are each my personal friends. I suppose in the same way people follow celebrities I follow baseball players. I want to know them, and I am the rare fan who cries when they are traded away. They are a part of my family and I hate to lose any one of them. I have a personal investment in the players and team, which is one part of why I love baseball.

There is nothing that surpasses the feeling of walking into a ballpark. The sounds of vendors encouraging you to buy peanuts, programs and red vines surround you as you walk through the gates. There is team paraphanalia everywhere, vivid signs that you belong to a larger Dbacks family. There is just something wonderful about being a part of something bigger than yourself that being in the stadium draws on Then you climb the escalator pondering what wonderful food to eat. If I'm lucky I'm there with my mom and we can share a hot dog, nachos, and in the eighth inning, a huge waffle bowl of coffee ice cream. But there are so many options, garlic fries always entice my nose, the caramel apple always calls to me, even though it would cover my hands with gooey and delicious sugar, and it is impossible to underestimate the power of kettle corn calling to my nose as I walk by. Seeing as most experiences are about food with me, this is an integral part of my ballpark experience.

But also I find that I am lost in the "American Experience" of going to the ballpark. I love standing next to my mom or any of my aunts and singing the national anthem, hand over heart, tears welling in my eyes. I love the chance to honor America, especially before America's pastime. I love that on Sundays before the official seventh inning stretch festivities they sing "God Bless America", again to cause tears to well in my eyes. I just adore the way America is honored in the ballpark. And truly what could be more American than singing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" while swaying and making fun hand gestures. The sound of the organ playing makes my adrennaline rush and brings a smile to my face every time.

From the open air of the evening, to cheering as loud as possible, to following silly chants and claps led by the organist or a thrilled crowd, there is nothing like a day at the ballpark. I know some are skeptical, I know some follow Kevyn's belief that the game is too slow, I know it sounds a bit hokey, but it truly is a great experience. I invite all of you to come with me sometime; I'd be happy to chat through the slow innings with you, teach you a little something about what's going on on the field, and most of all share some nachos and my love of the game with you. There's still time! The great thing about baseball is that is spans at least 6 months of the year! There's still plenty of time for me to "Take You Out to the Ballgame!"

1 comment:

Aaron said...

any amount of blog space devoted to the most glorious game of baseball is space well spent. it really is one of the most "cultural" experiences in sports, going to the stadium i mean. perhaps an sec football game would give you a bit of a comparison, but for my money (and my heart) nothing compares to baseball. nothing can overtake me more than gazing out into chavez ravine from the upper deck of dodger stadium. you've captured it all too well, katie. (by the by, i'm probably back in phx from aug. 11 to aug. 18 or so...perhaps we squeeze a game in? update: appears that they leave on the 13th for a roadtrip...sunday the 12th then, perhaps? )