Sunday, March 2, 2008

Spring Training

I know it seems superfluous to write again about baseball, but I can't help it.  It is a favorite in my life, and this is a semi-separate topic, or so I tell myself.  

Yesterday my mom, dad, and grandma came down to Tucson to bask in the sun on a beautiful day for baseball.  As we handed our tickets over, I got goose bumps.  I could hear the announcement of players, the crack of the bat, the cheers of the fans, and I felt at home.  My means of relaxation, my joy of competition, my ability to sit back and enjoy conversation has returned.  Yes, this puts much pressure on the sport to deliver, but it never fails.  It never fails to remind me of the simplicity that can soothe a weary soul.  It never fails to remind me of how amazing it is to be a part of something bigger than yourself.  It is so amazing to talk with other fans around you and share in the experience.  Not to mention the connection that comes in cheering for those players who've returned again to bring us 162 games of pure excitement and heartache.  (Although, Herb will argue I didn't identify the players correctly, but I say, I know all the players names, and if I can't identify them by sight from a distance, it's still okay.)

Needless to say, I am so excited at the beginning of something new.  This is a big deal for me, having new things begin.  I like the feeling of embarking on a new project, seeing something all the way through, having a fresh experience. (It's part of why I can't wait to have a baby someday. It is the beginning of something new on the largest scale, just like marriage was.)  I'm thrilled about the new season and all that it holds, and I felt so blessed to share it with my family yesterday!  My mom initiated a hot dog toast at the game to great new season! How apropos! A hot dog, a new season, and sharing it with my family!  It doesn't get any better than that!

No comments: