Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Sweet

So I have a blogging problem.  I can't seem to stop these days.  Apparently I'm thinking too much or reading too much.  Sometimes reading inspires writing.  Maybe that's it.  Or maybe I just have a problem.

Nevertheless, in church on Sunday after our initial prayer the congregation said "Amen."  Same old, same old.  But Bryan, our pastor, questioned why we all say that.  He suggested that we all say "Sweet" instead.  It means the same thing and it is more culturally relevant.  I was a little doubtful, but I rolled with it.

After the sermon he came back to this idea of saying "Sweet" after prayer.  He posed that it might be a good reminder that we are intended to be the unmistakable aroma of God.  We are to be fragrant, a sweet aroma to those around us. 
 
Okay, okay, I started to come around.  I did just watch Turtle Talk with Crush at California Adventure.  He definitely makes the word "Sweet" sound cool.  More than that though is the idea that we should be fragrant.  I just keep picturing Mary emptying out her alabaster container of nard.  What a beautiful fragrance that must have filled the room!  All out of her love and devotion to her Lord.  Sweet!

I'm not saying that it should always be, but next time you pray, instead of saying "Amen" as we always do, try it.  Say "Sweet" and you just might find a precious aroma of Jesus fill the room. 

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Love that! Who is this pastor named Bryan?