Friday, March 21, 2008

Sympathy Pains

Since I was a child I have always "enjoyed" a certain level of empathy.  God has "graced" me with the gift of feeling what others feel.  The usual form of this is to cry when others weep and to laugh when others rejoice, but every once in a while it takes on a vastly different form.

Last night was no exception.  I woke at 3:33 in the morning (odd how we are able to remember times in the dead of night) to a racing heart and an unbearable stomach ache.  As I made my way to the bathroom believing I was going to vomit, this is usually my M.O., I found myself faint and dizzy.  After calling for Herb I laid on the floor enjoying the cool tile against my face. Herb brought me a cool wash clothe and I began to revive.  I shrugged it off as a usual "Katie weak-immune system" episode and finally fell back asleep.

When I awoke this morning the phone rang.  I answered and heard the edge in my dear friend's voice.  One I loved had been taken to the hospital due to extreme cramping and pain.  She is recovering well, but I can't help but make the connection.  Could it possibly be that I, from miles and miles away, intuitively knew that she was ill?  Is it possible the Holy Spirit was attempting to give me insight into the hurt of a friend?  And if so, why the heads up?  Am I supposed to better understand her anguish?

These are questions I often pose when an episode like this occurs.  If I truly experienced sympathy pains, why?  But I sincerely believe that there is a reason, even if I can't directly pin point it.  God wants me to understand the needs and feelings of others and thus He has granted me this gift.  I know He wants to use it for His purposes, so I continue to watch and wait to see how He hopes to use them.  Until then, I will just hold onto the idea that I am supposed to know the pain of others; I am created to understand.  And just like yesterday, if it is for no other reason, it might leave someone feeling less alone, which is plenty enough reason for me.

No comments: