Monday, April 7, 2008

Adventure

"I want adventure in the great life somewhere.  I want it more than I can tell..."  Ah, the music of Disney movies that echoes through my ears on a regular basis!  

As many of you know, I am not one to take risks.  I don't need to jump out of a plane and feel life slip from my beating heart.  I don't need to scream at the top of my lungs as I plunge down the hill of a roller coaster.  Thrills just aren't my thing.  But I believe the reason people take these types of risks is because they long to feel alive.  There is something about their racing heart and quickness of breath that makes them feel more human, more real.  And while I do not take those risks, I can understand that sentiment.

My version of embracing this sentiment is to break from my normal schedule and do something crazy!  You thrill seekers think this sounds lame, but it truly works for me.  Anytime I run off to dinner with a friend in the middle of the week or go to the movies when I'd normally be grading, I feel alive!  Today is no exception to that.  Today I break the Monday routine, Bible study with Lori, Heroes night dinner with Melinda, Stacey and Mika and bedtime at nine o'clock, to do something enjoyable.  Today I "thrill-seek" in my own Katie sort of way.  

Today after school I'm hopping into my car to meet my mom in Phoenix at the Diamondbacks home opener!  Baseball, in Phoenix, on a school night!  My perfect version of adventure!  I guess you could say I'm playing hooky from my life to go to a baseball game, and I'm jazzed! I'm going to eat a hot dog, drink a soda, and share ice cream with my mom in the seventh.  Not to mention the screaming and cheering that will ensue as a result of a good game of baseball.  I can't wait!

The stress of doing something like this can overtake my mind.  I won't be able to make lunches. What about prepping for AIMS tomorrow?  How will I get my classes ready?  But that's part of the adventure.  Literally leaving everything behind to do something just for you.  It's a little bit reckless, it's a little bit foolish and that's what makes it so grand!  So all of you thrill seekers out there, do something just a little bit irresponsible today and join me in an adventure!

1 comment:

Rach said...

Good for you! Live on the edge a little. And, I don't understand how you LOVE Dland but don't have the same enthusiasm for roller coasters?!!??