Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Oh I love technology...

I've been complaining for weeks now about this new "Blue Ray" technology.  Everyone says it's the newest, hip thing out there and we shouldn't watch movies without it.  I say that it's just another way that society is forcing us to buy and attain more stuff.  It is society's way of forcing my hand into spending my money on things I don't need.  I am fine with the idea that they are offering better technology to us, but I am frustrated to no end that soon they will phase DVDs out in an effort to coerce us into purchasing Blue Ray discs.   Not to mention that Blue Ray can only be viewed on HD televisions, which means they'll be harassing us to purchase a new TV as well.  As you can see, I could rant on and on about this topic.

My students and I have long discussions about the impact of technology on society.  We explore the idea that something must be destroyed in order for something new to be created.  And I agree with this sentiment on some levels.  I think that nasty habits have to be destroyed in order to make room for more healthy activities.  I believe that we have to destroy old ways of thinking and approaching people to make way for less prejudice in our society.  But I get a little annoyed when it comes to our technological savvy society.  Why must we always seek to have better and more advanced stuff?  Why must we propagate the idea that our things should be disposable?  When it doesn't work anymore, don't fix it, just throw it away and get a new one. Obviously that's the best course of action.  Obviously.

But then last night I had a practice in contradictions, paradoxes, irony if you will.  As I said, I've been ranting about this topic for two weeks now, and last night I sat down to write out Herb's graduation invites, by hand.  I sat there writing the same content over and over again; we wrote addresses by hand, folded and stuffed envelopes, soon we will place stamps on each envelope. Monotony at it's best.  No sooner had we begun this process than I said "I love evite.  Why can't we do all invitations that way from now on?"  Oh my!  A profession of love for my technology, for my computer driven, internet based privileges.  Privileges granted to me by, wait for it, technological advancements.  See the irony!  The thing I complain about often is the thing that enables me to do SO MANY cool things!  I think about my classroom, and I have often said to others that I don't know if I'll ever be able to go back to a computerless school.  It affords me so many cool learning opportunities with my students, things I would never be able to do with them otherwise.  Yet, I still remain annoyed at a society that forces my technological hand.

It's a conundrum.  A paradox.  It is the stuff of literary devices.  I want to have my cake and eat it too.  Such a high demand I know.  I still am annoyed about the Blue Ray, High Def movement, but I think I need to complain a little less.  For I am extremely thankful for the way technology has improved my life.  I don't want to be like Frank from You've Got Mail, clinging to my typewriters, vilifying a society too reliant on technology.  For I am a part of that society, and I do love my technology.  So I suppose I'll have to chirp a little less about its evils and remember the luxuries that it affords me.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I am completely with you on this one. I'm perfectly happy with my non-flat, non-HD, bulky tv and my dvd/vcr combo, on which I can still watch regular VHS tapes. My life is not made better by a clearer picture! But, the paradox (not sure if I'm using that word correctly) as you said is, without facebook and myspace, I never would have connected with friends from gradeschool and high school, especially since none of my family lives where we grew up. I think it's that you and I are happy with the technology that allows us more communication but don't care a bit about technology that has nothing to do with personal relationships.

Rach said...

I agree with Sarah 100%. I could not care less about technology that is simply entertainment related...unless it involves building or strengthening relationship. I enjoy watching tv, but I don't give a rip if it is a 37 inch or a 24 inch or whatever inch! I'd prefer it not to be totally fuzzy, but I don't need it to be so clear that I can see every pore on the actors' faces. However, if I had to give up my email, I'd go nuts. Why? Because, for me, having such a convenient way to keep in touch, catch up, and make plans is vital to pursuing and growing relationships in which I wish to invest.

Herbnosis said...

An act of creation, is first of all, an act of destruction.
-Aristotle

Yes, I love technology
But not as much as you, you see
But still, I love technology
Always and forever.
-Kip Dynamite