Thursday, April 17, 2008

I've Gotten Carried Away

I was lying in bed last night thinking about my day, and I began to compare one of my experiences to the novel Like Water For Chocolate.  I was just thinking about how Herb had a rough day and I wanted to fix it by making him some sort of delicious food.  Apparently one of my love languages (the unwritten one of course) is food.  That is often how I communicate my love and emotions, just like Tita in Like Water For Chocolate.  As I meandered down this path of thought, I was reminded of one of the You've Got Mail quotes that I forgot.  And I can't believe I forgot it because it's one of my favorites.  The quote is as follows:

So much of what I see reminds me of something I read in a book, when shouldn't it be the other way around?

I love this quote because it brings forth an interesting idea.  Should we use books as a means of exploring unknown worlds that we're not brave enough to explore ourselves?  Should we hide in fiction when we could be out living life?  Is there something wrong with seeing books played out in our lives?  In this email, Kathleen is wondering if she's brave, if she's taken risks.  I think it's a valid question, and one I can easily relate to.

So I pondered it as I was falling asleep and I came to this conclusion: I think books bring depth to our life experiences, as long as we continue to live out our own lives.  I love to be able to relate to books, and I love to see glimpses of a book in real life.  Books enrich us, fill our souls with new wonder, and if they're any good, they encourage to explore, to take risks in life. Books provide ways to enhance relationships, give new topics of conversation.  Books inspire great thought, which in turn can inspire great writing, and create new books.  I've come to the conclusion that books don't take away from our lives, they add to them.  Which reminded me of another quote I forgot from You've Got Mail:

And it wasn't that she was just selling books, it was that she was helping people become whoever it was that they would turn out to be.  Because when you read a book as a child it becomes a part of your identity in a way that no other reading in your whole life does...and...I've gotten carried away.

She may have gotten carried away, but she carried Joe, and me, right with her.  She's right, books help define us.  They help shape us.  They do empower us to help become what we want to be.  Thus, I will continue to see things in my everyday life that remind me of books I've read, but I will also continue to be brave.  For someday, if I'm brave enough, I just might have enough life experience and book wisdom to write a book of my own.  I hope I'm brave enough.

3 comments:

Aaron said...

I hope you are brave enough, too.

Dawn said...

I agree with Aaron. And I can't wait to read your book myself.

Vanessa said...

I hope you don't mind a late post...now that we've officially met, I don't feel nearly as awkward chiming in!

As a fellow reader, I connect with your thoughts on books, words, the general acts of both reading and writing. One of my favorite authors, Anne Lamott, says it this way, (in answer to the question, why does writing matter....)
"Because of the spirit, I say. Because of the heart. Writing and reading decrease our sense of isolation. They deepen and widen and expand our sense of life; they feed the soul. When writers make us shake our heads with the exactness of their prose and their truths, and even make us laugh about ourselves or life, our bouyancy is restored. We are given a shot at dancing with, or at least clapping along with, the absurdity of life, instead of being squashed by it over and over again. It's like singing on a boat during a terrible storm at sea. You can't stop the raging storm, but singing can change the hearts and spirits of the people who are together on that ship."