Tuesday, April 15, 2008

How Beautiful

One of my favorite songs that my mom played when I was growing up was Twila Paris' "How Beautiful."  It reveals the beauty of Jesus' ministry here on earth.  But whenever I observe beauty around me this song also echoes in my ears.  Yesterday was no exception.

I realize that I don't write enough about the beauty that occurs in my classroom on a regular basis.  I want to share with you because it is a reminder that there is beauty all around. Yesterday my friend and fellow teacher, Stacey, was diagnosed with preeclampsia in the morning and as a result has to have the baby three weeks early.  Initially this caused her and those around her much distress.  The idea of having Baby Claire early was just unexpected and the complications a bit worrisome.

Some of my students were talking about Stacey in the afternoon asking if she was going to have a substitute for doctor's appointments yesterday, and I had to inform them that Mrs. Rhodes probably wouldn't be back the remainder of the year.  Some of the students took this in stride, but a small group grew very worried.  They asked me a myriad of questions with genuinely concerned looks on their faces.  One particular boy asked me what the risks were, why this caused alarm, how the body needs to prepare for pregnancy and on and on.  It was a authentically beautiful moment.  The concern for his teacher's well-being, his intense desire to know and understand what she had to endure, and his willingness to ask despite peer observance.  It was just a beautiful moment for me.  My heart still warms to think of it.

These are the moments that make teaching an amazing profession.  These tender interactions with students that allow me to see the beauty of each heart.  These are glimpses into God's beauty implanted in the hearts of each of us, especially the hearts of children. 

No comments: