Sunday, April 13, 2008

You've Got Mail

As many of you know You've Got Mail is high on my favorite movies list, but it becomes much higher depending on my degree of sickness.  We all have that one comfort movie that we watch when we need home to feel a little more like home.  You've Got Mail is that movie for me.  It has amazing lines, and I could quote it non-stop until the cows come home, yet the real draw is that amount of comfort it brings me.  Perhaps part of the assurance comes from being able to quote all the lines, or perhaps it is the connection I feel with the character Kathleen Kelly (she and I are so very much alike), or maybe it is the soothing, kind humor of Joe Fox (Tom Hanks is quite the suitor!), or maybe it is an unexplainable quality that comes only from watching a movie hundreds of times (just as Kathleen has found comfort in reading Pride and Prejudice two hundred times!)

No matter the reason, it is a favorite.  I am sitting here enjoying each line and savoring the moments, even though I know what is coming next.  I must say though that as a woman of words the lines in this movie are my favorite.  I thought I might include many of them here, so that when I randomly insert them into conversation (which I will do, just ask Mom, Herb and Melinda) you might know what I'm referring to.  If you don't read on, I'm not offended.  This is really just a practice in enjoying one of my favorite things in the world, quoting movies!

Confession. I have read Pride and Prejudice over two hundred times.  I am in agony over whether Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth will ever get together.  I get lost in words like "thither", "mischievous" and "felicity".

This place is a tomb. I'm going to the nut shop where it's fun!

What is it with men and the Godfather?  The Godfather is the Iching.  The Godfather is the answer to any question.  What do I pack?  Leave the gun take the cannoli.  

Thank your.  Thank your ladies and gentleman.

Frank, is she a Republican?  I can't help myself.

You are a lone reed.  I am a lone reed.

Go to the mattresses.

Meaningless bouquets of sharpened pencils.

If I ever get out of here I'm having my eyes lasered.

Hi I'm Kimberley.  Hi I'm Tiffany.  It's like their a whole generation of cocktail waitresses. Don't they know you're supposed to have a last name?

Nol Streatfeild wrote Ballet Shoes and Skating Shoes and Dancing Shoes.  I'd start with Ballet Shoes its my favorite.  Although Dancing Shoes is completely wonderful but it's out of print.

What's his handle? NY152.  152. 152 felony indictments. 152 pock marks from the 152 moles he had removed.  152 people who think he looks like Clark Gable. 152 people who think he looks like a Clark Bar.  152 INSIGHTS INTO MY SOUL!

What's your name?  Rose.  Rose, that's a pretty name.  Happy Thanksgiving Rose.  It's your turn to say Happy Thanksgiving back.  Happy Thanksgiving back. 

Now I just have to find someone else. That's the easy part.  Sure, its a snap finding the one single creature that fills your heart with joy.

Starbucks is designed to help people who have no decision-making capabilities whatsoever make six decisions at one time.  Tall! Soy! Caramel Machiatto!  For three fifty they not only get a cup of coffee but find a complete sense of self!

I said we were a damn piazza!  Sh**! I was eloquent! 

I love Daisies don't you?  Daisies are the friendliest flower!

My head is starting to get fuzzy!

You've, Got Mail!  Those are very powerful words!  Yes!

Hope you're mango's ripe!

What about you, is there someone else?  No, but there's the dream of someone else.

What are you doing here again?  I wanted to be your friend.

He said the project needed some tweaking. T-W-E-A-K-I-N-G, tweaking.

What I don't understand is how you can forgive him for standing you up, but you can't forgive me for this one little thing of putting you out of business.  I'm just saying if I weren't Fox books and you weren't the Shop Around the Corner I would have asked for your number and I wouldn't have been able to wait one day to call you up and say how about coffee, how about dinner, for as long as we both shall live.  And then all we'd ever argue about is what movie to rent on a Saturday night.  Well that's silly, who argues about that?  Not us.

I wanted it to be you!  I wanted it to be you so badly!

Okay, so I have a problem.  I might have seen the movie more than a hundred times.  I think I can quote most of the movie beginning to end with just a little prompting.  Anyway, thank you for humoring me.  I'm now going to return to curling up sick on the sofa quoting You've Got Mail while it comforts my ailing body.

3 comments:

Dawn said...

Guess what I saw the last half of yesterday (Sunday)? You've Got Mail. It was on ABC Family as I was flipping around. How fun that we were both watching it on the same day. There are some great lines in that movie. Gotta love it.

Leatrice said...

I'm exactly the same way with Sleepless in Seattle! I love You've Got Mail too, you can't beat Meg and Tom together!

Jay Walker said...

This is one of my favorite movies ever.....and I am a guy.....Meg Ryan is so enchanting.....I agree there are so many usable quotes, love the site.