Thursday, October 23, 2008

Long Distance

Last night I talked to my Uncle Dave on the phone because my sister was hanging out and he called her to chat. It was so nice to catch up with someone I love, to hear his voice and be assured that he's hanging in there. I love to reconnect with people who live far away, but I'm HORRIBLE at it! I really am no good at sending emails, especially the variety where I am supposed to go on and on about my life. I love getting those emails from others, the updates that fill me in on their happenings, but writing them myself is difficult. I'm so terrible at picking up the phone when I'm thinking about someone and just dialing their number. I get concerned about what time it is there or how I will be inconveniencing them or I just plain want some down time. I feel selfish for being such a poor communicator, especially with family who live far away.

My sister is so good at long distance. Whether it's texting or calling, she keeps up with so many long distance relationships. I wish I were more like her, better at touching base. I wonder why this is an area of weakness for me. It's not a case of "out of sight, out of mind" but I'm afraid it appears that way. I don't want others to believe that I don't love them or don't care, but I can't seem to find a way to be successful at the long distance relationship thing.

I have no conclusion, just the problem. So I welcome any and all feedback. How are you successful at keeping long distance relationships alive? How do you keep in touch with people far away? These questions come with no promises that I'll be any better, but at least they come with a willingness to try. That's all I've got, the ability to try.

No comments: